An important point is that only three specialists are allowed to perform rhinoplasty:
- ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgeons: they’ve passed four-year residency program in Otorhinolaryngology (ear, nose and throat specialty) subsequent to receiving their certificate in general medicine
- Double board certified in plastic surgery: They have passed general medicine and then 4 years of general surgery and finally after 3 years they have received double board certification in plastic surgery.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeon: they have passed general dentistry and have become dentist. Then they have gotten oral and maxillofacial specialty certification.
None of other medical specialists are permitted to practice rhinoplasty
This question has frequently been raised that which one of the aforementioned specialists is more accomplished for a rhinoplasty?
On the whole, it would be an awkward question to be answered. Practicing rhinoplasty requires artistic skill as well as knowledge-based competence. While all of them acquire sufficient knowledge of performing this surgery during their residency program, innately artistic skill of the surgeon is the determining factor which has nothing to do with his specialty. So none of these specialty can be claimed to be superior to others in all respects.
Ads sometimes wrongly use terms, like cosmetic physician or surgeon. Your surgeon has to be introduced by such terms as ear, nose and throat specialist or orthognathic (face and jaw) specialist or board certified in plastic surgery.
Dr. Ali Gharooni is an ear, nose and throat specialist of Tehran Medical Science University. He’s focused on facial plastic surgeries and rhinoplasty in particular.
Applicants for rhinoplasty are advised to do enough research on the topic and to make a list of surgeons suggested by relatives or internet, and having consulted them in person, choose the surgeon.
Choosing a good rhinoplasty surgeon:
- Searching through the internet
- Consultation with formerly operated acquaintances
- Making a list of surgeons
- Consultation with the surgeons on the list in person